Business Development Executive - Infrastructure, Mining & Commodities
Infrastructure & Commodities
Norton Rose Fulbright differentiates itself globally by consolidating its marketing to promote six key sectors. These key areas of strength are our “Headlight” areas and are grouped as follows:
- Financial Institutions
- Infrastructure, Mining and Commodities (IMC)
- Technology and Innovation
- Life Sciences and healthcare
The role being recruited has a global remit. The executive will support our Infrastructure, Mining and Commodities (IMC) Headlight area. Each Headlight is broken down into International Business Groups (IBGs). The BD executive for the IMC Headlight will work across the following 3 IBGs
- Infrastructure - Focused on all aspects of infrastructure i.e. roads, bridges, tunnels, railways, ports, airports, buildings, stadia, waste management
- Mining - Focused on the exploration, extraction, processing and trading of coal, uranium, metals and precious stones particularly in unique/difficult jurisdictions
- Commodities/Food & Agribusiness - Focused on advising clients involved with unprocessed or partially processed goods (such as grain, tobacco, sugar, coffee, cocoa, paper, cotton, edible oils and bio-fuel). Particular focus on food security and the changing shape of the agribusiness industry.
The role will also provide some support to the development of our Africa practice. The global IMC business development team is at the heart of our practice, drawing all parts of the business together and driving effective management of the Headlight worldwide. We aim to provide our executives with opportunities to develop their career across the business development function, encouraging close co-operation and team-working alongside other central Marketing & Business Development functions such as the brand and creative team, the business development operations team, the key client team and the strategic bids team.. We seek to recruit people who show ambition, initiative, commitment and a genuine passion for pursuing a long term career in professional services marketing and business development.
The Business Development Executive will be based in London and will report to the Global Head of BD for IMC & Africa. This role also involves working alongside other IMC (and Africa) managers and executives within London and across North America, South Africa, Asia, Australia, Middle East and Europe. This a particularly exciting time to join the practice given the announcement of our combination with Chadbourne & Parke. The successful candidate will have a role to play in supporting the integration of the new teams into our global headlight.
This is a varied role which covers all aspects of sector marketing and business development. The role will appeal to candidates who are effective multi-taskers and who enjoy working across multiple practices areas and international offices. The successful candidate must have strong organizational skills and be able to calmly manage multiple deadlines.
Global Projects and Campaigns
Assisting with marketing campaigns and other global programmes, which use the full marketing mix to raise and maintain awareness of our Infrastructure, Mining and Commodities sector expertise. IMC campaigns are global, focused on client needs and enable us to strengthen existing relationships and develop new client opportunities. Recent initiatives include a client extranet for priority mining clients, and a global Food and Agribusiness survey. Activities will include:
- Drafting campaign plans. Organising and assisting with global marketing campaigns in order to strengthen existing relationships and develop new client opportunities.
- Working alongside fee earners in relation to content of campaign (i.e content of webinar presentations, client survey questions, target client lists)
- Drafting and designing marketing materials (i.e invitations, notifications to clients and internal advertising, social media updates)
- Working alongside design team when in relation to the campaign marketing (visuals and aesthetics)
- Co-ordinating logistics when campaign is live (i.e webinar– advising participating partners on the use of software, co-ordinating back end logistics during live webinars)
- Working with Trainees, Paralegals, Team Support Assistants and wider BD team in the development and delivery of IMC campaigns programmes
- Supporting activity in the relevant IBGs including meeting coordination, chairing 121 partner calls, production of supporting material and recording actions
- Monitoring and following up on actions agreed in plans/ project meetings
- Working closely with IMC fee-earners to fulfill their BD commitments.
Research and analysis and proposal writing
- Undertaking factual and market research including researching target clients. Conducting sector/organization research, liaising with the library where necessary.
- Assisting with Setting up project plans including drafting, monitoring and updating plans
- Supporting on sector bids, panel pitches and other client development presentations including drafting and editing text where necessary; co-ordinating international contributions to opportunities (such as CVs, team details, experience, etc), collating comments on global documents and brochures, ensuring adherence to visual identity; maintaining library of sector relevant bid content in collaboration with central strategic bids team, helping to analyse bid success rates etc
- Updating and proof reading international and client focused experience statements, deal lists, credential documents and other client marketing collateral
- Supporting global IMC surveys including collating and analysing survey results and other related data
Client Relationship Management
- Supporting the development of selected headlight priority clients
- Working alongside Client Relationship Partners and Global head of IMC in growing priority client relationships
- Liaising with regional teams involved with priority clients
- Coordinating calls with key client teams to discuss existing and future relationships – ensuring actions are followed and completed
- Working alongside paralegals and trainees in researching current and potential clients
- Driving client focused campaigns and events
Supporting the Infrastructure, Mining and Commodities team to ensure that all marketing communications channels are exploited to convey consistent messages about the sector, our expertise and experience - including the development of the use of social media - in consultation with central e-media team.
- Championing social media including our IMC LinkedIn page and Twitter accounts
- Maintaining the IMC website and intranet pages
- Using internal communications channels across the Norton Rose Fulbright International network to raise awareness of IMC campaign activity and opportunities
- Assisting with drafting press releases, articles, directories and league tables, in cooperation with the central PR team.
- Ensuring on- and off-line sector marketing collateral is compliant with visual identity guidelines, working in conjunction with the central Emedia and Brand and Design teams
Document management and Business Development operations/ systems
- Working with our recently established Global Service Centre which provides BD support from Manila
- Co-ordinating contributions and input into business development systems including InterAction (CRM), Experience Management, bids and CV databases for supporting initiatives such as direct mail, events, bids, key client and target programmes, experience statement compilation, league table and legal directory submission
- Integrating use of systems into all activity according to global best practice
- Adhering to department administrative processes such as maintaining team transaction, bids master lists and CVs etc
- Assisting with preparation of Management Board reports
- Monitoring marketing budgets and ensuring payment of marketing invoices / recharges and amendments are made as necessary (and follow up activity)
- Ensuring that monthly sector/IBG meetings have the appropriate preparations in place, including ensuring relevant fee earners are informed, agendas have been agreed, minutes are taken and circulated etc
- Any other duties as requested
Skills and Experience Required
- Graduate caliber with demonstrable experience of working in a fast paced, professional services environment (preferably within a legal, accountancy or financial services environment)
- Self-starter with ability to use initiative
- Significant relevant marketing and organizational experience
- Excellent attention to detail and strong research and analytical skills
- Good experience in bid and proposals management
- Sound working knowledge of Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Visio
- Experience of business development systems
- Ability to work across time zones, multi task and manage multiple deadlines
- Ability to quickly build trust amongst immediate team and across the business
- Ability to follow through: a completer-finisher
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Understands when to act and when to ask. Knows how to seek clarification and manage expectations
- Willingness to take on additional responsibility and deputise for team members when required
- A genuine interest in the infrastructure, mining and commodities sector and/or emerging markets
Our business principles are Quality, Unity, Integrity. The successful candidate will be expected to consistently:
- Communicate effectively
- Demonstrate technical ability
- Contribute actively and effectively at meetings
- Seek supervision and/or supervise appropriately
- Organise meetings and projects
- Manage expectations and meet deadlines
- Build strong reputation within the business
- Commit to performance enhancement
- Develop and maintain internal and external relationships
- Demonstrate leadership and deliver excellent service
- Treat people with dignity and respect
- Focus on the Group’s strategic priorities
- Promote and demonstrate the Group’s business principles