This role will support the global IP, Tech & Data Group within Reed Smith’s Litigation Department. The Business Development Senior Executive will work with the practice group management and key partners practicing in intellectual property, data protection and technology on the strategic local and global marketing initiatives, with a primary focus on the EME region.
The Business Development Senior Executive is responsible for coordinating and implementing business development activities and supporting strategies across the firm for the assigned practice group. The role will work closely and collaboratively with the IP, Tech & Data business development team based in the United States.
This is a varied role which will appeal to candidates that enjoy multi-tasking, who are able to manage multiple deadlines, and who enjoy direct contact with partners and other lawyers, as well as working as part of a large global BD and Marketing team.
Reed Smith is a global law firm with more than 1,700 lawyers in 27 offices throughout Europe, the Middle East, Asia and the United States.
Operating as one global partnership, we represent leading international businesses from FTSE 100 corporations to mid-market and emerging enterprises; advising clients on cross border transactions, international commercial disputes and regulation. We specialise in industries including financial services, life sciences, health care, energy and natural resources, advertising, technology and media, shipping and real estate.
We all share a common culture, with core values supporting the firm’s commitment to add value, achieve excellence, and promote professional development.
London is our largest office with approximately 700 people, including over 350 fee earners across the full range of commercial practice areas. Consistent with the firm’s strategy, the office has grown significantly over the past five years. Key to this growth has been our ability to successfully integrate new hires into our business and give them a platform to flourish. We place a huge significance on listening to our people and incorporating their ideas wherever possible.
- Working on new pitch and proposal opportunities and being instrumental in delivering a first good working document to the partners.
- Working with other business development colleagues on cross-group pitch opportunities and panel reviews.
- Identify and pursue opportunities to develop new and existing clients as well as proactively seeking out ways to cross sell into the wider Reed Smith business.
- Work closely with US and EMEA counterparts to develop an international approach to BD, in particular, Paris and Munich.
- Planning, research and analysis
- Work with Practice Group Leaders to update and execute strategic business plans.
- Implement activities arising from targeting and business plans and regular monitoring of achievement against these plans.
- Work with the partnership to analyse and assess market developments, identify and follow through with emerging opportunities.
- Liaise with the Finance Department and Client Intelligence Teams to produce research and financial reports on clients.
- Collate information on clients and producing briefing notes for partner conferences, speaker events and/or business trips/client meetings.
Branding and communications
- Update and prepare practice related materials (practice group profiles, deal/matter case studies, CVs etc.)
- Plan and execute events, including special client programs, seminar and webinars
- Oversee the group’s social media accounts and blogs, including drafting and posting
- Check / formatting of materials for client presentations, internal training meetings etc. Manage the pitch process for presentations and pitches for all existing clients and prospective clients.
- Update lawyer and practice group information on the Firm’s website and intranet.
- Co-ordinate legal directory submissions with the lawyers who are responsible for each submission and helping the partners prepare for interviews with legal directory researchers.
- Work with the EMEA PR team, and the U.S. PR team as needed, on practice group PR initiatives and profile-raising. Help to drive this strategy forward.
- Manage internal communications, co-ordinating departmental presentations, preparing achievement reports, drafting blog posts and generally helping the groups to maintain their profile.
- Co-ordinate practice group projects and acting as a liaison point between the lawyers and wider business development team.
- Where appropriate, work with other BD colleagues and promote cross selling initiatives with other practice groups.
- Undertake wider Business Development projects where needed, global panel reviews and assisting the Strategic Accounts Team where needed.
- This list is not exhaustive and there is plenty of room for the candidate to develop/grow certain parts of the role to suit their interests and skill set, subject to the needs of the business.
- Cheerful self-starter who can show initiative and get on with tasks without the need for significant supervision and direction.
- Excellent drafting and writing ability, with an emphasis on creating a “first time working product”.
- High level of attention to detail and organisational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and willingness to approach senior partners and lawyers with new concepts and ideas.
- Enthusiasm for learning – it is important that the individual is keen to develop their knowledge of the legal sector and can quickly grasp complex subject matter and technical terms. The candidate will get significant support on this from others in the team who already have strong legal technical knowledge.
- An eagerness to learn about individual partner practices, and client bases, and the confidence to ask questions.
- Demonstrable experience working in a fast-paced environment in the professional services sector, ideally within the legal industry.
- Ability to work collaboratively with people at all levels, including partners and clients throughout different geographies and time zones.
- Have a proactive and solutions-based approach to delivering needs of internal and external clients.
- Adopt a flexible and versatile approach to work and enjoy working with a team with different needs, style and requirements.
- Interest in reading legal, economic and marketing press.
- A confident, patient and positive attitude.
- A thoughtful and considerate worker.
- Sensitive to cultural differences and issues
Key Skills, Attributes and Experience
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong organisation skills.
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn and actively promote the use of the Firm’s CRM system.
- Word (advanced level).
- Excel and PowerPoint (advanced level).
- Email – MS Outlook essential.
- Strong analytical skills.