Business Development Manager
Business Development & Corporate Communications
About Gowling WLG
Gowling WLG is a new international law firm created by Gowlings, a leading Canadian law firm, and Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co (WLG), a leading UK-based international law firm. We built Gowling WLG to provide clients with legal services at home and around the world, and to help you succeed no matter how challenging the circumstances.
Gowling WLG clients have access to in-depth expertise in key global sectors along with a top-tier suite of legal services. With more than 1,400 legal professionals across offices in 18 cities worldwide and specialised expertise in countries around the globe, we’re positioned to help clients rise to the challenges they face – both today and tomorrow.
Main Purpose of the Job
To advise priority sectors and legal teams on strategy and profitable growth agenda.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with partners and other stakeholders to devise and execute new products and services;
- Lead on client strategy including client focused growth, relationship management, client listening/feedback and new sales/targeting;
- Work with sector and legal team leaders on strategic business planning and budgeting;
- Monitor and drive financial performance of sectors and clients and track revenue source;
- Act as a central knowledge resource for, and advocate of, the firm’s strategy and vision;
- Work with the strategic bids team on major sector focused bids to bring sector knowledge;
- Work with the corporate communications and digital teams to create consistent content and messages for sectors and legal teams and raise of the overall profile of the firm;
- Identify and track cross-selling opportunities for other sectors and legal teams;
- Monitor client and market developments (including new entrants to the markets in which we operate) and deliver relevant and focused advice and communications to sector and legal teams;
- Conduct market and competitor analysis leveraging internal and external resources.
Key skills and experience
- Experience working successfully in business development in a professional services environment;
- Experience of sector development within professional services;
- Ability to think strategically and put plans into action;
- Experience of successfully dealing with and influencing senior people, particularly partners;
- Demonstrate flexibility and be willing to go the extra mile;
- Ability to deal directly with clients and client representatives;
- Commercial awareness and understanding of the clients' world;
- Excellent organisational and project management skills;
- Enthusiasm to work autonomously when required as well as within a team;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Ability to prioritise and manage demanding deadlines.
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.
At Gowling WLG we seek to attract and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures, to create an exciting and rewarding place to work. Our aim is to fulfil everyone's potential and together to achieve personal and business goals.