Legal PA - Family
Secretarial Services Manager/Team Leader
No.1 London Bridge
To provide first class professional Legal PA support to a number of Partners and fee earners within our Family department and will be expected to delegate work to the Legal Team Assistant and our external outsourcing typing provider. Legal PAs work principally for named Partners and fee earners, however all Legal PAs work as part of a team with shared responsibilities. Legal PAs will be expected to prioritise and share tasks when appropriate in order to meet business needs. We are ideally looking to recruit someone with previous Family experience.
Principal tasks and responsibilities
To provide Partners and fee earners with effective, pro-active professional and high quality Legal PA support that enables them to focus on providing legal services to clients. It is a key requirement that the Legal PA is able to demonstrate exceptional organisational skills and an ability to use their initiative at all times. They will be an integral part of a busy department and will need to interact daily with Partners, fee earners and clients to understand ever changing needs and have the ability to prioritise workloads and liaise with Legal Team Assistants, the external outsourcing typing provider and other support functions to ensure timely delivery.
- Proactively manage and maintain Partner and fee earners' diaries, making appointments and co-ordinating internal and external client meetings and ensure all work activities are scheduled effectively, including the identification and resolution of potential challenges and clashes.
- Arrange (or delegate to the Junior PA ) the booking of meeting rooms, video conference facilities, refreshments, restaurants, taxis etc. and liaise with internal and external meeting attendees. Co ordinate fine dining arrangements circulate menus and confirm booking.
- Management of Partners' and fee earners' inboxes when they are out of the office and monitoring and responding to post/emails, prioritising correspondence to enable Partners/fee earners to focus on urgent matters and using initiative to route emails to the appropriate individuals for swift response and action; wherever possible, responding to and filing emails in to Filesite.
- Printing correspondence for hard copy files as well as electronic files (supported by the Junior PA)
- Responding and dealing with external or internal telephone calls and queries in a professional manner, taking clear and concise messages. Establishing relationship with clients and clerks at chambers and being able to give assurance with generic queries, demonstrating knowledge of the files.
- Manage the workflow to our external outsourcing typing provider ensuring dictations and documents are submitted and returned in a timely manner.
- Proof reading all work to ensure consistent accuracy and high standard.
- Typing and drafting where appropriate anything our external outsourcing typing provider is unable to undertake.
i.e. payment of invoices, acceptance of events etc.
- Preparation of account forms e.g. Chaps payments.
- Produce trial bundles ensuring the relevant court documents are in the relevant section etc. (with the support of the Junior PA).
- Preparation of agendas, presentations and meeting papers, including print production and timely distribution and chasing papers for meetings and ensuring that Partners/fee earners have papers and adequate planning time.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the end-to-end billing process and Elite financial reporting; assisting Partners/fee earners by liaising with the billing team, producing the relevant documentation and reports, and prompting Partners/fee earners to complete all necessary paperwork etc. Creating precedent invoice letters to send to clients.
- Develop system for putting counsel fees on the ledger (received by e mail and hard copy) and ensure these are billed monthly.
- Ensuring BD is fully informed of any BD activities and updating the schedules as required. Identify BD related meetings and colour code so information can be pulled into tracker
- Taking ownership of the Family BD Database, updating regularly (with the support of the Junior PA).
- Attend monthly Family BD meeting and take minutes.
- Where applicable, ensuring travel arrangements are made through the correct channels, producing detailed itineraries and ensuring expense claims are completed; Organise any client entertainment for any internal or small external events and liaising with BD.
- Department specific support, such as familiarity with standard Family Court Forms etc.
- Responsible for opening new client and matter files on the Mattersphere and obtaining and co-ordinating CDD. Ensuring department file opening form is also complete (with the support of the Junior PA).
- Identify files on Fee Earner matter list to be archived.
- Collating and indexing legal documentation, deeds scheduling and deeds management.
- Undertaking research using the internet, databases etc.
- Small volume photocopying and scanning, with delivery/collection of large volume of photocopying and scanning and couriers to Repro team (supported by the Junior PA.)
- Support to other Legal PAs where required, especially during any absence.
- Acting as a mentor to Junior PA and leading by example.
Technical Skills / Experience
- Experience in a demanding, high performing professional services environment.
- Excellent diary management skills.
- Excellent organisational skills and time-management skills.
- Effective and professional telephone manner.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work well under pressure remaining calm and focussed.
- Client service orientated approach.
- Accountable and professional.
- Confident in Excel and PowerPoint
- Constant enthusiastic, can-do and positive approach to tasks and situations as well as requests for action outside normal scope of duties.
- Ability to take personal responsibility, ownership and behave responsibly.
- Friendly, co-operative and approachable at all times.
- A strong communicator with individuals of all levels.
- Listens carefully and questions to make sure you have all the information you need to take action.
- Displays discretion when dealing with sensitive information.
- A resilient character with a positive attitude.
- Ability to be flexible and self-motivated.
- A strong team player.
- Professionally presented.
Additional information / system used
- Microsoft Outlook 2010
- Microsoft Word 2010
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2010
- Microsoft Excel 2010
- BigHand Digital Dictation System
Hours of work
- Core Hours: Monday to Friday 9:30 - 17:30