The position provides senior level business development and marketing support to the Global Shipping Group, Labour & Employment EME Group and ad hoc support to other groups such as Pensions and Tax as required.
The successful candidate will be responsible for co-ordinating and implementing business development activities and supporting strategies across the firm for these assigned groups. The salary for this role is £42,000-£45,000. Please note advertising for this role will end on the 2nd August 2017.
Reed Smith is a global law firm with more than 1,800 lawyers in 27 offices throughout Europe, the Middle East, Asia and the United States.
Operating as one global partnership, we represent leading international businesses from FTSE 100 corporations to mid-market and emerging enterprises; advising clients on cross border transactions, international commercial disputes and regulation. We specialise in industries including financial services, life sciences, health care, energy and natural resources, entertainment and media, shipping and real estate.
We all share a common culture, with core values supporting the firm’s commitment to add value, achieve excellence, and promote professional development. London is our largest office with approximately 700 people, including over 350 fee earners across the full range of commercial practice areas. Consistent with the firm’s strategy, the office has grown significantly over the past five years. Key to this growth has been our ability to successfully integrate new hires into our business and give them a platform to flourish. We place a huge significance on listening to our people and incorporating their ideas wherever possible.
• Be the dedicated Business Development point of contact for the Shipping Group (21 Partners and 110 lawyers) and Labour & Employment EME Group (7 Partners and 17 lawyers), and regular coordination with the U.S. BD Manager for the Labour & Employment work. Also supply ad hoc support to the Pensions and Tax Teams;
• Working on new pitch and proposal opportunities and being instrumental in delivering a first good working document to the lawyers;
• Work with the Group Leaders to create, update and drive strategic business plans;
• Implement activities arising from targeting and business plans and regular monitoring of achievement against these plans;
• Work with the partnership to analyse and assess market developments, identify and follow through with emerging opportunities;
• Identify and pursue opportunities to develop new and existing clients as well as proactively seeking out ways to cross sell into the wider Reed Smith business;
• Prepare and present business development activity reports and brief partners and fee earners of all marketing activities throughout the firm.
• Update and prepare practice related materials (practice group profiles, deal/matter case studies, CVs etc.) and help to collate and produce documents for pitches and proposals;
• Work closely with the firm in house pricing team to create clear pricing strategies for clients. Promote and educate lawyers on the firm’s menu of transactional and contentious alternative fee arrangements;
• Plan, coordinate and execute large scale events such as seminars, roundtables and receptions in London and internationally (Aberdeen, Athens, Denmark, Hamburg, Turkey, Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore), including some potential travel;
• Create materials for client presentations, internal training meetings etc. Manage the pitch process for presentations and pitches for all existing clients and prospective clients;
• Draft and update lawyer and practice group information on the firm’s website and intranet;
• Work closely with US and EMEA regional marketing counterparts to develop an international approach to BD, in particular New York, Singapore, Hong Kong, Paris, Athens and Munich;
• Plan and co-ordinate practice group projects and act as a liaison point between the lawyers and wider business development team;
• Plan, coordinate and execute dedicated Practice and Industry Group sessions at the annual Reed Smith Partner Conference;
• Co-ordinate legal directory submissions with the lawyers’ team and help the partners prepare for interviews with legal directory researchers;
• Work with the EMEA PR team, and the U.S. PR team as needed, on practice group PR initiatives and profile-raising. Drive this strategy forward;
• Liaise with the Finance Department and Client Intelligence Teams to produce financial reports on clients;
• Plan and execute bespoke seminars for key clients
• Attend client events to drive business
• Work with the Key Client Team to drive the development of key clients
• Take responsibility for the upkeep of the Shipping blogs and social media;
• Manage a dedicated social media campaign to improve market visibility;
• Plan and conduct regular podcast and webinar updates with the lawyers;
• Collate information on clients and produce briefing notes for partner conferences, speaker events and/or business trips/client meetings;
• Conduct research and analysis on clients and organisations;
• Work with US and international partners to be lead business development contact for the firms Japanese and Korean business teams. Conduct full strategic overview and assist with business development trips;
• Where appropriate, work with other BD colleagues and promote cross selling initiatives with other practice groups;
• Undertake wider Business Development projects where needed, global panel reviews and assisting the Strategic Accounts Team where needed.
This job specification may continue to evolve according to the needs of the
groups / firm.
• A Business Development professional with at least 4 years’ experience
• Excellent drafting and writing ability, with an emphasis on creating a “first time working product”;
• Self-starter who can show initiative and get on with tasks without the need for significant supervision and direction. This is a role where the candidate is largely supporting these busy groups/teams on their own without significant line management input;
• High level of attention to detail and organisational skills;
• Significant experience in a partnership environment in a similar role with an appreciation of the benefits of a sector and focussed client approach;
• Ability to liaise with people at all levels, including partners and clients throughout different geographies and time zones;
• Ability to learn about the Maritime sector quickly and grasp legal and technical terms;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and willingness to approach senior partners and lawyers with new concepts and ideas;
• Interest in reading legal, economic and marketing press with a focus on Maritime issues;
• Experience of a high level client-facing role
• Ability to drive strategy at a high level
• Experience in driving law firm business through social media
• Ideal candidate would have a legal background and have practised law
• Sensitive to cultural differences;
• Have the confidence to present ideas and views clearly and with conviction;
• Adopt a flexible and versatile approach to work and enjoy working with a team with different needs, styles and requirements;
• To be collaborative, resourceful, proactive and creative;
• Ability to create and maintain visibility within the Group through strategic initiatives;
• Have tenacity and show willingness to implement any new ideas;
• Have a robust commercial stance;
• Have a proactive and solutions based approach as well as having a can-do approach to delivering needs of internal and external clients.
• Excellent attention to detail;
• Strong organisation and analytical skills;
• Demonstrate a willingness to learn and actively promote the use of the firm’s CRM system;
• Familiarity with account principles and reporting would be advantageous;
• Strong computer skills including advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
At Reed Smith, we welcome direct applications either in response to one of our advertised vacancies or on a speculative basis. Please click on the “Apply Now” button to submit your details and we will be in touch.