We are seeking a junior/mid-level lawyer to join our pre-eminent ship finance team. The team, regarded as a leading group in the industry for “their know how and flexibility on complicated transactions”, advises on all aspects of the acquisition, disposal, financing and operation of ships, super yachts, and offshore equipment used in the maritime industry. The team is also developing a practice in aviation finance most recently.
Clients are primarily ship owners and financial institutions, but also include ship managers, shipbuilders, brokers and other intermediaries. Most of our work is cross-border, the common link being English law. We work closely with the London Shipping Group and with our offices in Paris, Piraeus, and the Middle East and Hong Kong.
Specific clients within the wider shipping group include AET, Arlington Tankers Limited, Eagle Bulk Shipping, HSH Nordbank, Lloyds TSB Bank plc, PNC Bank, Sovcomflot and Trinity House.
This is an excellent opportunity for a commercial and technically strong individual to be involved in high profile work within a market leading practice. The individual will be working as part of the ship finance team also working on aviation finance matters. High levels of responsibility and autonomy from a junior level are a given. You will benefit from a friendly and supportive team environment and be encouraged in advancing your legal career within the Firm, via the CareeRS programme.
This role would suit asset finance lawyers who have a keen interest in shipping finance and/or aviation finance and are open to developing their career in this area.
Closing date for applications is 10 August 2017.
Annual salary: £75,000 - £85,000 depending on experience.
Reed Smith is a global law firm with more than 1,800 lawyers in 25 offices throughout Europe, the Middle East, Asia and the United States.
Operating as one global partnership, we represent leading international businesses from FTSE 100 corporations to mid-market and emerging enterprises; advising clients on cross border transactions, international commercial disputes and regulation. We specialise in industries including financial services, life sciences, health care, energy and natural resources, advertising, technology and media, shipping and real estate.
We all share a common culture, with core values supporting the firm’s commitment to add value, achieve excellence, and promote professional development.
London is our largest office with approximately 600 people, including over 300 fee earners across the full range of commercial practice areas. Consistent with the firm’s strategy, the office has grown significantly over the past five years. Key to this growth has been our ability to successfully integrate new hires into our business and give them a platform to flourish. We place a huge significance on listening to our people and incorporating their ideas wherever possible and this is evidenced by numerous awards:
• The Sunday Times 100 Best Companies To Work For 2014 - 86th position in the mid-sized companies list
• Legal Education and Training Group 2014 – winner of the Best programme (Client Development)
• Association of Graduate Recruiters 2014 – winner of the Best Induction Programme
• Managing Partners' Forum 2014 Awards for Management Excellence – winner of the Best Programme for Leadership Development
• Personnel Today Awards 2013 – winner of Innovation in Recruitment
• Peer Awards for Excellence 2013 – winner of two awards: Staff Development, and People and Performance
For further information, please visit:
The successful candidate will be involved in all non-contentious legal aspects of shipping, in particular:
• Loan and security and other financing/investment documentation
• Ship/aviation acquisition and disposal
• Shipbuilding/aviation contracts and related documents
A minimum of 2+ years’ post qualification experience in ship finance and/or aviation finance from a well-regarded Firm. Alternatively, experience in asset finance with a desire to focus on ship finance and/or aviation finance
• Ability to demonstrate a high degree of commercial awareness
• Excellent written communication and drafting skills
• Self-confident, proactive, pragmatic approach to tasks and projects
• Highly enthusiastic and self-motivated
• The ability to interact and build relationships with people at all levels
• Ability to work well in both a team and individually
• Desire to be proactively involved in business development and marketing with a view to handling networking and client contact from the outset
The PQE level identified here is indicative only. Reed Smith welcome applicants
regardless of PQE who believe they meet the requirements of the role outlined in the job
description and wish to apply for the position.