GBR - Professional Support Lawyer (Public company, incl. public M&A and Takeover Code and corporate governance)
London - Canary Wharf Map & Directions
Clifford Chance is one of the world's leading law firms, helping clients achieve their goals by combining the highest global standards with local expertise.
Our Corporate Finance teams advise on some of the world's largest and most complex M&A transactions. Our clients include public and private corporations, investment banks and financial institutions, governments and international bodies. Our lawyers specialise in providing a seamless integrated service across our network of offices and across different areas of expertise including:
- M&A work
- Private equity transactions
- Joint ventures
- Rights issues and secondary issues
- Corporate governance and other advisory work
The successful applicant will join the London Corporate Finance practice's existing Knowledge Management team, consisting of experienced PSLs and information specialists.
Our Knowledge Management team is focused on delivering practical and insightful knowhow and advice to fee earners, both in London and across our global network, in a way that enables them to provide an efficient and cost effective service to our clients. Key to achieving this goal is the need to work closely with our transactional lawyers in order to ensure that deal knowhow and insights are collated, analysed and shared with the Practice. Increasingly, there is a focus on assisting with "best delivery" - a focus on ensuring knowhow is presented and held in a usable form that drives efficiency for the practice.
As an integral member of the existing London Corporate Finance PSL team, the role holder will get involved in a wide variety of activities, including:
- Analysing forthcoming legal and regulatory developments in order to prepare lawyers and clients for implementation
- Responding to fee earner queries on legal and regulatory matters
- Contributing to relevant legislative/regulatory consultation responses
- Supporting corporate partners on work relating to external legal committees, such as the Law Society and CLLS
- Supporting production of bespoke legal and regulatory developments updates for key clients
- Taking a leading role on working with fee earners on client AGM/annual reporting work
- Encouraging knowledge sharing by deal teams and the submission of knowhow to a shared knowledge database
- Facilitating post deal reviews, analysis and knowledge consolidation
- Regular "floorwalking" to keep up to update with current work being undertaken by the Practice
- Updating and overhauling our existing Public M&A online database and contributing to our Global M&A toolkit website
- Updating existing Public M&A and other templates
- Identifying and drafting new templates as required
- Improving the accessibility and ease of use of the template documents, including interaction with relevant software tools
- Assisting in preparation and delivery of training programs on public company issues, including AGM best practice, Takeover Code/Public M&A
- Delivery of Knowhow updates to the Corporate Finance Practice
- Running specialist Public M&A focus group meetings
- Promoting and assisting fee earners with use of AI software
- Responsibility for drafting Corporate Update, our bi-annual corporate briefing for clients and preparation of our annual AGM Update for clients
- Conceiving and drafting additional client briefings
- Supporting fee earners in preparing client presentations
Skills and Qualifications
You will be a mid-level lawyer or existing PSL with significant experience advising public companies on legal and regulatory compliance and, in particular, takeovers and public M&A and corporate governance matters. Additional experience of the market abuse regime would also be advantageous.
You will have an excellent academic background. You will have strong drafting skills, have good attention to detail with strong organisational skills and be proactive and committed to providing a first class service to our lawyers and clients.
We offer a very attractive remuneration package paying commensurate to experience. This is a tremendous opportunity for a lawyer, interested in professional support work in a global law firm, with the opportunity to balance knowledge development, training and other 'PSL tasks' with fee earning on leading transactions in a specialist support role. We can offer regular hours and a very stimulating environment in this established team. Equal Opportunities
It is the Firm's policy to treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age. Furthermore, the Firm will ensure that no requirement or condition will be imposed without justification which could disadvantage individuals purely on any of the above grounds.
The policy applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment.
The Firm will regularly review its procedures and selection criteria to ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and otherwise treated according to their relevant individual abilities and merits.
The Firm is committed to the implementation of this policy and to a programme of action to ensure that the policy is, and continues to be, fully effective. All staff are required to comply with the policy and to act in accordance with its objectives so as to remove any barriers to equal opportunity. Any act of discrimination by employees or any failure to comply with the terms of the policy will result in disciplinary action.