Senior Counsel, Litigation & Regulatory
The Mastercard Law team strives to be a best-in-class legal and regulatory team that embraces constant transformation and aligns with our global and regional businesses. We advance Mastercard corporate strategy through delivery of skilled, proactive and efficient law-related support.
The litigation team is responsible for managing outside counsel on pending litigation matters and for providing legal advice to business unit customers, law department colleagues and other internal stakeholders with an eye towards facilitating thoughtful risk taking and minimizing litigation exposure.
The regulatory team is responsible for engaging with a variety of regulators to advance and defend Mastercard’s interests, horizon scanning for future regulatory changes, providing regulatory advice to a wide range of internal stakeholders and ensuring regulatory compliance.
• Collaborate with outside counsel on effective and efficient strategies for defending pending litigations, with particular focus on managing large private antitrust litigations in the UK and across Europe
• Respond to government inquiries/investigations concerning on-going business practices and/or investigations of third parties
• Provide guidance to internal business customers on risk factors related to business decisions and operations
• Assist with cross-functional initiatives relating to e-discovery, litigation hold obligations, use of social collaboration tools and other developing areas of litigation
• Communicates changes in laws and regulations and advises clients of risks and legal consequences of proposed and alternative actions
• Provide regulatory advice to internal business customers and law department colleagues on a variety payments regulations
• Engage with UK regulators, primarily the Payment Systems Regulator (PSR) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and respond to formal and informal requests for information/ consultations and compliance obligations
• Work across the business to promote a broader understanding of the UK regulatory environment, identify risks and opportunities and develop corporate positioning on various regulatory issues and initiatives
• Proven experience as legal counsel in a fast-moving, high-risk business environment, ideally in a regulated industry
• Prior experience with competition law and complex commercial litigations
• Prior experience of representing a commercial organisation to a variety of external stakeholders in a range of environments
• Prior knowledge of payments-related law and regulation would be desirable, but not essential
• Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize in order to meet project constraints (court deadlines, budgets, etc.)
• Sound judgment and a demonstrated ability to analyze complex legal documents and situations
• Outstanding communication skills and success working with cross-functional and cross-office teams
• A desire to take the initiative and think two steps ahead
• Ability to translate complex legal issues and ambiguity into clear and simple advice and to communicate effectively with non-legal internal colleagues