The Group Legal department provides legal advice and expertise to support all activities undertaken by the London Stock Exchange Group and ensures that business decisions are taken with a proper understanding of the legal implications.
The Head of Legal - Corporate Transactions leads on the legal aspects of corporate transactions on a global, group-wide basis (including M&A, strategic and finance transactions and organic development projects and ventures) for Group legal. This position reports into a senior lawyer in the Corporate Transactions team.
It is imperative the successful candidate has a strong corporate law and M&A skill set, has a good understanding of the financial services industry, and is comfortable dealing with and influencing clients at all levels of management. The candidate will also require strong project management skills and the ability to lead teams of internal personnel and external advisers across all of its business lines and the geographies in which it operates.
- Excellent focus on both corporate, strategic and commercial issues arising from working for a company at the heart of the world’s financial community.
- Main areas of legal advice and the majority of work will be within the M&A, corporate and finance (including equity and debt finance) areas.
- In particular to support the Head of Legal - Corporate Transactions in advising on:
- the legal aspects of, and project management in relation to, Corporate Transactions across the Group, including conducting and managing due diligence and disclosure processes, preparing, advising on and negotiating transaction documents, facilitating the successful execution of transactions.
- To advise on and run strategic projects, including organic development projects and the establishment of new regulated and non-regulated businesses.
- To advise on finance projects (including raising finance for Group companies).
- Provide full assistance on corporate transactions, general corporate / company secretarial and compliance matters.
- Provide general legal, commercial and other advice as required.
- Experience in M&A is critical. Candidate must also be keen to assist on Group legal matters in a broader context.
- Excellent commercial focus to all aspects of legal work, advice must balance commercial requirements with legal constraints.
- Desire to develop general expertise whilst maintaining up-to-date understanding of specialist area; and to disseminate knowledge to colleagues and peers.
- Ability to take full responsibility for own work and to raise key issues at a senior level when necessary.
- Has the sustained drive and energy to deliver support service to time and quality;
- Willingly puts in the effort to ensure activities completed on time and to the quality required; and
- Flexibility in hours required to provide timely and high quality advice and output to clients.
- Experience at building excellent working relationships with internal and external clients;
- Team work is essential in terms of assisting other Lawyers, working in partnership with the business, and getting involved in a variety of tasks;
- Puts project management methodologies in place e.g. schedules of work; progress reports etc.;
- Deals with conflict successfully; and
- Seeks information/inputs from colleagues/clients.
- Ability to offer creative solutions to complex problems;
- Open to and willingly adopts new processes / approaches / ways of working.
- Desire and intellectual capacity to learn quickly, adapt existing knowledge to new areas and identify need for specialist input;
- Oral and written communications are tailored to their audience’s needs;
- Forward thinking, pro-active and demonstrates initiative;
- Prioritises activities according to business and operational need;
- Analysis and problem solving;
- Analyses issues to identify the most appropriate solutions; and
- Utilises all available resources and toolsets to investigate and resolve problems.
Candidate Profile / Key Skills
- Excellent M&A technical knowledge, drafting and analytical skills.
- Ability to negotiate complex M&A and other transactional issues/points.
- Flexibility to respond to the demands of a diverse range of international businesses.
- Ability to manage risks in a transactional context.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a keen interest in developing and sustaining excellent internal client relationships across the Group’s businesses.
- Interest in developing and nurturing other team members.
- Keeps up to date with legal and practice developments across a range of specialist areas. Shares knowledge of developments with colleagues to improve overall expertise within the firm.
- Degree qualified, minimum of 2:1 degree classification, equivalent or above.
- Qualified lawyer with suitable level of UK experience. Experience may have been gained from reputable firm(s), additional in-house not required but viewed positively.
- Up-to-date legal knowledge and excellent drafting and communication skills.
- Proficient IT skills in MS Office products – specifically Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent research and analytical skills.
- Experience in a busy corporate / commercially focussed environment. Specific areas of experience to include some or all of the following:
- managed and led corporate transactions
- technical expertise in M&A / company law / DTRs / company secretarial work
- drafted and negotiated a wide range of M&A contracts
- good understanding of the financial services industry and related
- regulatory framework
- supervised junior lawyers
People are at the heart of what we do and drive the success of our business. Our colleagues thrive personally and professionally through our shared values of Integrity, Partnership, Innovation and Excellence are at the core of our culture. We embrace diversity and actively seek to attract people with unique backgrounds and perspectives. We are always looking at ways to become more agile so we meet the needs of our teams and customers. We believe that an inclusive collaborative workplace is pivotal to our success and supports the potential and growth of all colleagues at LSEG.
A career with London Stock Exchange Group offers you the opportunity to be at the centre of the financial community. As well as competitive salaries and a range of attractive benefits, we maximise each employee’s potential through personal development plans, training, coaching and mentoring.