Level of role
Associate (Newly Qualified) Division
Corporate Department, Professional Practices Group Location
London The Group
Our market leading Professional Practices Group is the only team in the UK which focuses entirely on the professional services sector, operating as part of the Firm's Corporate and Commercial Division.
Clients include leading UK and international law firms, accountancy practices, real estate firms, financial services and insurance businesses and hedge funds, as well as architects, actuaries, patent and trade mark attorneys and consultancy businesses.
We act as trusted advisers on the whole range of issues facing these businesses, from mergers and acquisitions, profit sharing structures, disputes, financing and distressed situations, to drafting partnership and LLP agreements. We have advised on some of the most significant professional firm deals over the last decade, and regularly advise on complex international issues.
Recognised as the top tier practice by all the legal directories – described by the Legal 500 as "fielding the best transactional partnership team in the UK" and by Chambers UK as "a formidable team" - we have been described as having a "client list to die for".
If you are curious about the inner workings of professional businesses and would like the opportunity to work with clients' senior management and boards, then this could be the opportunity you are looking for. We are a friendly team of three partners and three associates and are looking to expand to meet our client demand. You will have the opportunity to build your own client base and relationships as part of the leading UK team in this sector. Our Requirements
Working directly with the partners in the team you will enjoy high standards of work from day one. You will be encouraged to develop your skills and establish your own relationships by working with Senior and Managing Partners on a daily basis - giving you client responsibility from the start. You will be given full support where necessary and will benefit from a well developed induction programme and on-going training. This is an opportunity to be part of a collegiate team which strives for excellence in all that it does.
You will be working on matters which include:
Knowledge, skills and experience required
- UK and International mergers and de-mergers
- International structures and liability issues
- Drafting Partnership and LLP Members' Agreements
- Alternative business structures under the Legal Services Act 2007
- US firms starting up in London and SRA issues
- LLP conversions both from partnership and limited company status
- Advising on governance, structuring, profit sharing and internal arrangements and the management of firms
- Partnership disputes and enforcement of restrictive covenants as well as protection against team moves
You do not necessarily need any previous experience of advising clients in the professional services sector. You should have completed a seat during your training contract in a general corporate or commercial setting.
As well as being able to demonstrate an interest in the team's work, you will need to:
- Be intelligent and motivated, having an enquiring and adaptable mind
- Have excellent drafting skills and be able to draft complex provisions without the comfort of direct precedents
- Have the potential to be seen as a trusted and knowledgeable business advisor to senior management, capable of fostering and maintaining close and long lasting commercial relationships and acting with the utmost discretion
- Thrive in a stretching yet supportive environment where early responsibility is offered and encouraged
- Enjoy providing a high standard of client care to a knowledgeable and exacting client base
- Contribute towards the development of the team and the Firm as a whole
- Have an ability quickly to absorb new material, including regulatory rules and provisions