We have an exciting opportunity for a Solicitor or Associate to join our regulatory compliance team within the litigation and employment department in Bristol.
Successful applicants will have the opportunity to work with the largest national provider of specialist legal services to education sector clients. VWV's award winning educational work for institutions is ranked number 1 nationally in both Chambers and Legal 500 Directories.
We are best known for advising schools (including independent schools and academies), colleges and universities on a variety of issues. We are looking to grow the work we are doing, in particular in health and social care and for charities.
The work includes case work: crisis management, investigations, representation in legal proceedings and inquiries, and related advice on safeguarding, liability, governance and reputation protection; and compliance services: assisting clients with communications with regulators and inspectorates and helping them with the implementation, maintenance and review of policies and procedures.
- Provide succinct, strategically-focussed and accurate advice to the client, demonstrating best use of precedents and know how to save time and costs
- Apply VWV/departmental/team processes and procedures
- Demonstrate an understanding of other teams’ roles and evidence of engaging other team members
- Demonstrate a commercial approach when advising clients and that the law is applied in a practical way
- Demonstrate effective project management and an ability to demonstrate delegation skills, active supervision of juniors and planning of juniors' caseloads
- Demonstrate a basic level of competence in contentious and non-contentious regulatory compliance work
- Contribute to appropriate business development activities of the team and the Firm, which may include writing articles on current issues, creating materials and/or presenting them at seminars
- Achieve agreed business development targets
- Identify and attend appropriate networking opportunities
- Actively maintain and manage contact records in Infor
- Contribute to relevant tender document production and subsequent presentations
- Provide some managerial direction to juniors
- Communicate effectively within the team and refer any 'HR' issues to the HoT
- Financial management (under the supervision of a Partner)
- Achieve financial and hours targets as set by the HoD
- Actively manage working capital and make recommendations to team leaders as appropriate
- Apply the Firm's pricing policy, scope all jobs before referring to the Matter Partner for sign off and regularly update clients on fees, re-budgeting as and when appropriate
- Provide full and prompt assistance to credit control staff to ensure payment of outstanding bills
- Contribute to knowledge sharing within the team via: team meetings; problem solving / training sessions; matter de-briefs; lessons learned / after action reviews
- Respond to requests to create new internal know-how and/or to contribute to knowledge sharing initiatives for clients, such as updating policy templates, contributing to On Stream
- Demonstrate consistent compliance with the Firm's quality policies and procedures as set out on the intranet
Learning and development
- Comply with CPD requirements, appraisal systems and identify specific training needs
- Attend appropriate internal courses and training sessions
The Ideal Candidate
Required Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Experienced legal executive, solicitor or barrister, with an interest in education and/or safeguarding.
- Experience of litigation/regulatory compliance/safeguarding preferred.
- Must demonstrate an ability to provide accurate, focussed advice to clients, confidence in the use of office IT applications and an ability to work to the SRA's Skills Standards.
- Communicate concisely both verbally and in writing with colleagues and clients
- Draft legal documents, advice notes and give legal advice that is clear and concise
- Identify the relevant legal issues applicable to a case, matter or a transaction and the client's objectives and determine an appropriate strategy in the light of these
- Conduct negotiations where appropriate
- Research relevant areas of law
- Conduct effective case and transaction management
- Advocate and present orally when required
- Develop strong client relationships
VWV is a full service law firm ranked as a leader in both the Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 directories. Our firm-wide core values of teamwork and collaboration, putting the client at the centre of the firm and taking a commercial approach ensure a dedicated and expert service to all of our clients. Our high standards have been recognised by the Law Society through Lexcel and their Conveyancing Quality schemes.
With over 400 members of staff across four offices in London, Watford, Bristol and Birmingham, we are a medium size national law firm with a commitment to the training and development of our employees at all levels. This can be demonstrated by our Bronze Investors in People accreditation. On top of this, we have the reputation of being a friendly firm with approachable staff in all areas of the business. 96% of our clients say they would recommend us which, we believe, is a strong indicator of our culture.