RPC Claims - Senior Claims Handler (Experienced Paralegal)
RPC is an international law firm of over 600 people based in London, Bristol, Singapore and Hong-Kong. RPC Claims Handling is a Bristol-based team dedicated to the efficient and cost-effective management of matters and tasks that can be run at reduced cost via the application of technological and process-based solutions. Much of the team's work is done by paralegals, with the input, oversight and support of qualified lawyers and administrators. Skills employed include project management, quality assurance and process improvement.
The Claims Handling team handles professional indemnity schemes on behalf of leading insurers, acting under delegated authority levels.
The desire is to build the team and proactively expand the scope of its fixed fee work across claims handling schemes and books of defendant PI work, by obtaining new business and contracts, whilst also consolidating and strengthening the relationships with our existing clients.
Claims Handling is a unique team which works closely with the legal teams and clients to provide an outsourced managed claims service. Working with the team leader and other team members, you will be responsible for completing administrative tasks which are vital for excellent service and efficient delivery of our service. Collectively, you will be responsible for building and shaping the team for the future, embedding principles of lean and efficient working, and establishing the culture, values and behaviours that make for an attractive and varied legal career.
Day to day work duties are likely to include:
· Management of a caseload of high value and complex professional indemnity claims handling matters within schemes managed by the team
· Development of the client relationship and provision of MI
· Supervision and mentoring of junior members of staff, including reviewing drafts and discussing tactics and strategy
· Attending review meetings, with insurers, brokers and larger insured clients
· Assisting the Claims Team Leader with file reviews, spot checks and audits.
The Senior Claims Handler will be expected to contribute to the development of this new team by:
· Delivering high quality and timely output to clients, ensuring high levels of customer service and alignment with agreed working practices
· Working to develop an environment of constant improvement: enthusiastically sharing with and helping others; and taking responsibility for aspects of team development, such as intranet pages, training and induction, process improvement, technologies etc.
· Capturing and collating required MI in accordance with agreed practice – for performance management, client reporting, SLAs, pricing and other purposes
· Contributing to the development and improvement of the team's service, support, processes and procedures
· Demonstrating the values and behaviours that build up the team and keep it client-focused.
Skills, attributes & experience
· LPC or CILEx Level 3
· Extensive experience within the field of professional indemnity claims, preferably in a defendant representative capacity
· A good working knowledge of law firm operations and pressures; understanding the need for efficient, timely, cost-effective support
· Confident, with strong written and verbal communication skills
· Hardworking, enthusiastic and motivated
· Commercially aware, with an understanding of the concepts of efficiency
· Ability to consider, analyse and advise upon large amounts of documents and material in a short space of time
· Organised and efficient
· Ability to deal with difficult or demanding situations and clients
· Experience of case management systems
· Experience of conducting investigations into policy coverage, including potential fraud issues
Good knowledge and confident use of Microsoft office (including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook)
The team is based in RPC's Bristol office at Temple Circus. This role will be based in Bristol, and travel to the London office, other client meetings or networking events, may be required from time to time. The Senior Claims Handler will report to the Claims Team Leader, who is also based in Bristol.
This is a full time position.